Tuesday, July 10, 2012

Business cards are the paper currency

My notes on meet and greets:

One important lesson I have learned during my stay in Washington, DC is the importance of business cards. I have witnessed the exchange of hundreds of business cards each day at my internship. It's the peanut butter to the jelly for introductions. "Hello, my name is Caitlin; here is my business card." If you do not have a business card handy, the awkward one parcel trade takes place. Both sides of this event are left feeling underwhelmed, and trust me as an intern- not a good start! After the paper currency (business cards) dance has been completed the next step is to talk about your organization that you work for. This is my favorite part of meet and greets. It is during the discussions that you are able to make important connections to people. Who would have thought that nuclear disarmament can include physicians and the negative consequences of radiation on the health of people? (hat tip: Isabel Pennings) These random connections are important to explore during meet and greets. I have been able to connect to people when I explain the mission of AHRI and how legislation is an important part to our success. Now I have a stack full of business cards in my possession, with hopes that their value will pay off in the future.






My name is Caitlin Coleman (front center with blonde hair), I am a rising senior at the college of Saint Benedict. Majoring in Political Science and trying to fit in a concentration in econ. I am interning at the Air-conditioning, Heating, and Refrigeration Institute (AHRI) this summer. My experiences here in Washington, DC have been extensive. One day I am on the hill, listening to committee hearings. The next day, I am writing policy memos on current legislation. Life in Washington, DC is exciting, energetic, and fun. I love every minute here and am sadly counting the days until I leave. 

1 comment:

  1. Business cards are really useful for the people who doing their own business. Peoples use it so easily and give it to every person who meet him.

    Mandrien Consulting

    ReplyDelete